The Land of A Thousand Hills

The Land of A Thousand Hills
A Landscape of Rwanda

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Mariellen Breton: Bio

Hello there! My name is Mariellen Breton, and I’m a junior at Keene State College. I plan on getting my B.A in Sociology with a minor in both Criminal Justice Studies and Substance Abuse and Addictions. I plan on getting either my Masters in Social Work or Sociology, while incorporating the Peace Corps into my studies to help give me a hands on experience for a few years and really open my eyes to the world around me. Following my Masters I hope to pursue humanitarian work or become a Social worker, hopefully working with the younger generations because they are the faces of tomorrow. Through them we can really make a difference in the lives of others.


I would not have been able to go on this trip if it weren't for Doctor Seibert and our generous donors for making this possible. Thank you again for everyone that has supported our trip and donated supplies and funds; this will truly give us an opportunity to have an impact on other’s lives, as well as make a difference in my own life. I am so excited to be given the opportunity to travel to Rwanda and learn about their beautiful culture and see how the country has worked on restoring justice and peace post-genocide. It is astonishing that a country can go through so much but still hold hope and happiness in the face of it all, this is a truly remarkable quality and I would love to know more about how we can bring their efforts of peace and reconciliation to other aspects of my line of work.  I am really excited to be able to work alongside the Peacebuilding Institute and the Rwandan University students to hear their stories and really learn from them. It is always helpful to engage in cross-cultural learning and discussions, and I really look forward to learning about Rwandan society.

No comments:

Post a Comment